Sunday, December 14, 2014

Flanagan's Irish Pub: The U, downtown and flagging down the bartender

Flanagan's Irish Pub is located at 139 Pearl St. SW
in Grand Rapids, Michigan 
Looking to break new barriers, I set a new Barstool Banter standard Saturday night—I went to a downtown bar on a Saturday night.

Just about whenever you go, from the small town country bar to the big city bar, Saturday night is bar night, especially wherever the town square is.

After getting out relatively early on a Saturday night, I decided to take the short walk to Flanagan’s Irish Pub, located here.

Judging by the name Flanagan’s, I was expecting a nice Irish pub feeling, such as I experienced at Connor O’Neil’s in Ann Arbor. 

Alas, that was anything but I experienced at Flanagan’s.

Now, that is not to say that I did not have a great time at the bar. On the contrary, I found the experienced rather enjoyable. However, it was still one of those things where expectations didn’t meet the grade.
See, for those of you that are devoted readers (I thank you kindly) I’m all about bar knowing what kind of bar you are, and sticking to it.
If you are presenting yourself as an Irish bar (which with the shamrock for an apostrophe and the sign for Guinness in the front window, I’m guessing you are), be an Irish bar.
In order to be an Irish bar, you need to get some things right.
First, say no to the D.J.
D.J.s are fine, just not in an ‘Irish’ bar. Either play normal bar music over the speakers, or play some traditional Irish music. ‘I’m all about that bass’ is a fine song, but it ruins the whole Celtic feeling. And take that with heart from a person named Daniel Patrick Joseph Meloy—hint, hint, I know a thing or two (or twenty) about being Irish).
Second, it is one thing to have a nice special on Guinness. But if you want to sell the Irish thing, make sure you have some stew brewing up for the weary bar goer.
Here is the thing about being Irish. You can’t cater to other people. The Irish don’t cater. They just do, and come hell or high water we wait for other to react to us. It’s led to some fun results (I hear the Easter Rising was a blast) and that is my problem with Flanagan’s—it caters too much.
I walked into Flanagan’s and had to pay a $3 cover. OK, it’s a Saturday night. And paying a cover for a downtown bar is more than reasonable. I should consider myself lucky for walking to the bar, and avoiding the pain that is downtown parking in Grand Rapids.
I was lucky to pull up to a seat at the bar and ordered a Guinness.
In terms of the ‘Irish-ness’ factor, safe to say Flanagan’s falls short. No Irish flag, no hurling jerseys, no portrait of Michael Collins (by the by, please watch the film Michael Collins. If I ever find a girl that wants to marry me, I so want to name one of our sons Michael Collins Meloy, so yes, being a nerd might be a prerequisite for my potential future wife).
But as a stand-alone bar, Flanagan’s is a nice place. It has a good scene, plenty of beautiful-looking people dressed to the 9’s enjoying the downtown Grand Rapids scene, and the bar staff was very friendly.
As a I sat at the bar, a person in a Cincinnati Bengals ‘ugly Christmas sweater’ commented on ‘The U- part 2’ 30-for-30 documentary. It was on the part where Ohio State was beating the University of Miami for the 2002 national championships—remember when the Big Ten was good at football?
It was going over some of the more ‘questionable’ moments that led to OSU’s victory. In retrospect, Ohio State was holy crap lucky to win that one.
The guy next to me (I’m guessing he was from Ohio, why else would anyone voluntarily wear Bengals gear, said ‘man, we were lucky to win that one).
I nodded in agreement and was about to talk to him, but then a girl in another ugly Christmas sweater came up to them and they started making out (I guess we were done talking). Then I realized the problem with downtown bars on the weekend.
They are great if you are either are in a relationships, or going out with a group of friends. But they are terrible if you are out by yourself.
This is why we can’t have nice things!!!
The bar was mostly filled with couples or people in groups. So the amount of people that were interested in talking with someone they didn’t know was not that great. Which to me, is the whole point of going to the bar, to meet new people and find out what they think—hell, that’s why this blog exists in the first place (here’s to you crazy Call of Duty player at the Blue Leprechaun).
So, I spent most of my time at the bar looking at other people either with their significant others--not minding the couple that were making out right next to me, because that would be rude on my part.
I ordered a Rochester HillsMilkshake Stout (which was all sorts of delicious) for my next beer, while a line behind me was starting to form.
Flanagan’s doesn’t have much in terms of an ‘ordering station’ where people just walk up to wherever they can to order a beer. That’s when I got a little bit intrigued when a young women was all the sudden standing right next to me, but it turns out that the open space to my right was the best place get a hold of the bar staff’s attention. (Sad says for me).
Turns out the young lady was ordering a round of Bud Lights and Miller Lites (Ah, she wasn’t my type, it wouldn’t have worked out to start with) and headed back to her gaggle of friends.
I went back to drinking my Milkshake Stout while watching the Irish now tear up Florida State in basketball (who knew ACC basketball was so easy), while people came and went to the open space at the bar ordering drinks.
I tried to start small conversations with them, usually just the friendly ‘hello’ or ‘how’s it going’. God talking to strangers is just terrible. Why do I do that to myself……need to look into that.
Some of them were polite enough to have small talk, but again, being a downtown bar on a weekend, just about everybody was with a group of friends, so chatting it up with the single journalist at the bar is not up there on the “Things to do on Saturday” list.
But I did take enjoyment in watching the different techniques people use to get the bartenders attention.
In third place you have the stereotypical female strategy: Leaning over while wearing a dress to get the bartender’s attention (smiling isn’t required, but usually helps). This mostly worked on the one dude working at the bar (surprise, surprise) but had a curious kickback. Just about every female bartender knew what the girl was trying to do and was repelled by the strategy. So while girls using their natural curves to get a drink quicker than most is usually a solid strategy, there is remarkably a downside.
Second place goes to the dude with his girlfriend. This son of a bitch has three problems: One, he needs to remember the stupid cocktail his girlfriend wants. Two, he needs to keep an arm around his girlfriend at all times (outside advice to all couples: You do not need to touch each other all the time, it’s OK to walk to the opposite side of the room from time to time. And usually, if you are in a crowded space—like the place where everybody who wants a drink at a bar is gathering—it is a bad strategy to insist on being tied to the hip). And finally No. 3, he has to balance getting the attention of a bartender, while also paying attention to his girlfriend—poor guy didn’t stand a chance.
The two were close to me (read: both of them were either touching my seat or my actually body) for a rather uncomfortable about of time for being strangers—five minutes. The guy was implementing the classic wave a $20 bill strategy. But on a night where bartenders are slammed, seeing another piece of currency on a night when they have handled over hundreds of dollars didn’t really seem to excite them, shocking I know.
After the fifth minute of them being painfully close to me, the guy broke down and mentioned to Notre Dame looked good in basketball this year. Sports, the always dependable ice breaker, even for those who know nothing about them—just pretend.
Eventually the two were eventually severed after the dude and I talked a little about the game. The chick he was with didn’t seem impressed that we were talking while they were waiting for their drinks (I take it she was more than satisfied with silently standing next to me for five minutes). I felt it was odd that she was getting upset, where were they doing, the place is packed, might as well start of conversation.
But the award for best bartender attention grabbing tactic goes to the ‘wait in silence in a black dress and act like the world owes you’ technique. Now, it’s not the best because it worked really well—just the opposite, it didn’t work at all.
But it wins the best because it entertained me the most, and isn’t that what really matters?
There was this young lady (probably my age-ish) in a black dress. She was on her phone while standing next to me, waiting to grab a drink. She then commented (not to me directly, but I think I was the only one who heard it ‘is it really eavesdropping if they are standing next to you?) “Like, when am I’m going to get service.” ‘Hopefully never’ I replied…..inside my head.
I think she was with a group of friends, young, attractive female at a bar on a Saturday night, with friends is a pretty safe bet. But was by herself ordering drinking. I asked how’s it going, but I don’t think she heard me (there was a D.J, after all) or she was ignoring me (because I’m the guy at the bar, after all). Instead she was staring at the phone, not having it click that maybe, just maybe, giving someone eye contact might help them give a damn about you in this situation. 
 She waited another minute before blurting out that the service was terrible. Seeing how this was going nowhere for me (note to self: be taller), and I desperately wanted to get away from this woman. 
So I pulled out my wallet to get my card out, got the attention of one of the bartenders and asked for another Guinness and my tab (I have this weird three beer rule when I do posts. Three just seems like a solid enough number to show you tried something new, so I like the number. Something Jack White and I believe in, I guess).
Now, how was I able to the bartender’s attention so quickly you might ask. Simple: Sit at the damn bar!!!
From my experiences, bartenders seem to give preference to those who sit at the bar. Why, because people who sit at the bar humanize the bartender more. Unlike those who never sit at the bar (yes, I realize I’m being unfair to those in groups, but I’ll explain latter), people who choose to sit at the bar can build a rapport with the bartender, if it is just ‘please’ and ‘thank you’.
Also, people at the bar can do a better job with keeping tabs on things. They know who is busy and who is not, how many people are out for a smoke break and when the place is just slammed.
And (good) bartenders know this, so yeah, they will give some preferential treatment to those on the rail (providing they are not total assholes).
And if you are in a large group and can’t be at the bar, that’s fine too, just accept on that on a Saturday night, service is going to be slow, so stop whining about it.
Speaking of whiners, back to the lady in the black dress next to me.
When I got the bartender’s attention for my tab, I was polite enough to point to her and say she would like a drink. She was served and said thanks without turning her head towards me. So, I guess she was thankful, not too sure.
Turns out downtown on a Saturday night isn’t much of mine scene.
The music is too loud, and Flanagan’s beer selection is solid, but the specials for Bud Light and Miller Lite seemed to offset the whole Irish feeling that I expected from a place called Flanagan’s.
Downtown on the weekends are fun, but definitely a group activity. Paying cover is not fun unless you are with friends or on a date. For the single folk like me, stick to the towny bars. You’ll be happier; or at least not surrounded my pretentious chicks that won’t look at you.
I mean really, she could at least comment on the Notre Dame game. The place is called Flanagan’s for crying out loud. Oh well.

God save the Irish and Michael Colling (and by relation, Liam Neeson). 

No comments:

Post a Comment